How our Menus work
The BlogSites have two ways to manage your menus and site navigation.
- Use our automated menus so that all pages are added to the menu as you create them.
- Use the WordPress manual menu system to create fully custom menus.
Each of these methods can be used in three different navigation areas:
- The Main Menu of the site
- The menu of Social Media links
- The Blog Menu ( only on blog pages )
When you activate the Manual Menus ( under "Appearance->Menus" ), you have full control over every link in that menu. If you decide you don't like the manual style or want to just go back to the easy way to do things, you can switch off the menus at any time and the site will go back to the more automated method.
The Automated Menus
Letting the site control the menu is the easiest way to do things. As you add pages, they get added in the correct order to the menu in a place that makes sense.
There are a couple limitations to our automated menus:
- MAIN MENU: Most of our themes have a "Home" link at the beginning or the menu that cannot be removed.
- MAIN MENU: Menus have a "Blog" link at the end of the menus that cannot be moved and does not react to your page reordering.
- BLOG MENU: Shows categories and Archives. No customization or changing.
- SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS: Will show or hide Facebook and Twitter links depending on whether you have added your accounts to the site but the "RSS" will always be there unless you use the custom social menus. (more info below).
You can easily hide a page from the menu at any time, to create a hidden client page or anything else you can think of. Instructions on hiding pages from the main menu.
You can also add up to five custom links into the menu. Instructions on adding custom links.
Creating and Activating Manual Menus
If the built in menus do not offer enough control, you can activate manual menus at any time.
- Visit "Appearance->Menus"
- Using the dropdown menus to the left, select which menu should be in which section. ( We have created 3 menu spots and 3 menus that can be assigned to each with similar names )
No menus being used:
Assigning a menu:
The custom "Social Menu" is being used:
Using the Manual Menus
Further down on the left side, you will see more boxes with all of your pages and a place to add custom links.
- Using the right section, use the tabs at the top to switch between menus
- Assign pages, posts, categories or custom links to each new Manual Menu
- REMEMBER TO SAVE the menu with the blue link to the right.
We have a video under "Support->Videos" that will show this in more detail.
There is one small addition we have made to the menus to make life easier. Usually the menus need to have every page added manuallay. But we have added the option to have all "subpages" added under each parent page automatically. That way, you just add the main menu item and any pages you place under that one will get added to the menu as you create them.
To auto-add subpages:
- Add a page to a menu
- Save the menu
- Look at the page details and a new checkbox appears (pictured below)
- Check the box and save the menu again.